The Concentrating Solar Power Plant is a renewable technology producing electricity from solar power.
The first mention of the use of concentrating solar power derives from ancient Greece in Sicily (Italy), where Archimedes in 214-212 BC, used bronze shields to concentrate the sun’s rays onto invading Roman ships which, according to the myth, caught fire.
The first documented use of concentrating solar power technology was in 1866, where Augustin Mouchot used parabolic troughs to heat water and produce steam to run the first solar steam engine.
The first operational concentrating solar power plant was built in Sant’Ilario, Italy in 1968 by Professor Giovanni Francia. This plant has architectural similarities to modern plants with its central receiver surrounded by a field of solar collectors.
After more than 2,200 years Fata is building CSP Plants in Sicily, where the myth of concentrating the sun’s rays was born.
The Concentrating Solar Plant consists essentially of special mirrors, that reflect and concentrate sunlight onto a “receiver”. The receiver heats a solution of Molten Salts, up to about 550°C, which are fed to a Steam Generator to produce superheated steam, used in a Steam Turbine to produce electricity.